ADVERTISEMENT ‧ CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup diced bell pepper, red or green
- 1 tablespoon finely minced, peeled ginger root
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional Tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or green onions, optional
- For the rice:
- Add rice, salt, and water to a pot, stir once, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to cook, untouched, for 40 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
- Refrigerate rice until cold, preferably overnight.
- To fry the rice:
- Add olive oil to a large nonstick skillet or wok. Over medium heat add chicken, onions, bell pepper, and ginger and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and chicken is mostly cooked through. Add cooked rice and water and increase heat to medium-high.
- Push rice to one side and add beaten eggs to the other side, scramble quickly then toss in with the rice mixture. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Remove from the heat and toss in the scallions, if using. Enjoy!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 266 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 254mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 23g