ADVERTISEMENT ‧ CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth, optional water or a combination of the two
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- In a large pot, over medium-low heat, add water and sauté diced onion until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir and cover.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until lentils and carrots are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Garnish with (optional) diced avocado.
Yields: 8 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 232 | Total Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 473mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 13g
Smart Points (Freestyle): 2