This recipe intrigued me because smoked sausage is a regular in my house and I love finding new ways to use it! If you don’t have your groceries purchased for the week yet, put this on your list!! I fried my sausage for a couple of minutes to give it a tiny bit of extra flavor. You definitely don’t have to. The noodles soak up the cheese sauce so well…it’s really delicious and balanced. Still need convincing? It’s a meal in 30 minutes that serves eight! Definitely a Must!
16oz dry pasta (something sturdy)
3 tbsp butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp flour
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. half and half
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
2 c. Mozzarella cheese, divided
1-2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 (12oz.) fully cooked smoked sausage, any variety.
- Cook pasta according to box directions and drain. If you want to, brown your sausage (sliced into 1/4 inch slices).
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes, and then stir in flour.
- Whisk in chicken broth until smooth, then stir in half and half.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne powder, and red pepper flakes. Let simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and 1 c. of Mozzarella until cheese are melted and smooth.
- Add sausage along with chopped parsley and cooked pasta. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat broiler. Pour pasta mixture into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
* See this and other recipes when you follow me on Pinterest.