ADVERTISEMENT ‧ CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 6 cups yellow onions (~1½ large onions), peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 large bell peppers (4 cups) sliced (about ¼ inch thick), I used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
1 (12-ounce) package, fully cooked reduced-fat chicken or turkey sausages (4 sausages), I used Trader Joe’s garlic herb chicken sausages, see shopping tips
- Cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the sliced onions and bell peppers. Cook on high in microwave for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
- In the meantime, cut the 4 sausages into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray.
- Add the sausage slices and cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Stir often. Remove sausages to a plate.
- 3. In the same pan, coat again with cooking spray. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add the cooked onions and bell peppers, oregano, basil, a little salt, and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- If the pan gets too dry, add 1 more teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, 1 minute.
- Return the sausages to the pan. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- Mix everything together and continue to cook, stirring, until warmed through and well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the sausages, peppers, and onions on a platter.
- Serve with mustard on the side and toasted bread or rolls, if desired.